Offline Mode Overview
AppPresser 2+ allows you to create an offline mode for your app.
This works by redirecting offline users to a different html page in your app that works completely separate from your website. The flow looks like this:
- Online => index.html (shows your website)
- Offline => offline.html (static html on the device)
That means if you start the app while offline, you will go straight to offline.html. If you go offline while using the app, a message will appear asking if you want to redirect to offline mode. This is optional, you can also choose to never redirect users to offline.html.
What's possible with offline mode?
Offline mode allows you to build almost anything you want that will work offline.
For example, download audio files to the device and allow people to listen to them while offline. Add static articles, images, or documents to the app that don't require a connection to consume. Show a simple offline page when the connection is lost if you don't want to get fancy.
You have access to any Phonegap API that does not require a connection, such as the camera, contacts, accelerometer, and more. You can build static HTML pages that show text, images, audio, and more.
Important things about offline mode
- You must build all offline functionality separately inside the Phonegap project files. That means creating HTML, CSS, and JS files as needed and putting them in your project before building and submitting your app.
- You cannot use any online functionality of WordPress while offline.
- Your site content is not automatically available offline, you have to build anything that's offline yourself. (We are working on making this easier!)
We will be building extensions that make offline mode easier to use, watch for those soon.